When Four was born, I had no time to prepare. Since he came 5 weeks early and we were in the middle of moving back to Dallas, I hadn’t packed a single thing. When my water broke, we were told to come into the hospital quickly (since I was so early) so I literally only had time to grab a phone charger, my wallet, and my favorite blanket.
This time, I’ve been trying to put a hospital bag together WAY sooner in case I go into labor early again. My doctor has told me I could very well go the full 40 weeks, but there’s also a chance I could have her early as I did with Four. We’ve been monitoring me closely (I’m doing weekly appointments now) to be safe!
Since I never got to pack a bag during my last pregnancy, I’m basing this one on all the things I *wish* I’d had at the hospital. Now that I’ve been through the postpartum and newborn phases, I have a good idea of everything I’ll need. I also found it super helpful to reference a ton of other blogs to see what other moms brought in their bags, so I thought y’all might enjoy a look at what I’m bringing in mine.
What’s In My Hospital Bag?
Below is the list from the notes app on my phone. I’m using this as a sort of checklist and I thought it might be helpful to include it so you can do the same. Obviously, I didn’t link everything on there, but you can find it all linked below underneath the different photos in this post!
CLOTHES & ACCESSORIES
- Bathrobe – I’m bringing a lightweight one and a heavier one (you don’t need two! I just wanted options)
- 3-4 nursing bras – I got these from Amazon last year and love them. But I also have the Kindred Bravery ones (that also double as hands-free pumping) and they’re AMAZING.
- Hands-free pumping bra – if you plan to nurse/pump, it’s just good to have just in case. I didn’t know much about breastfeeding when I delivered my first baby, but I really wish I’d looked into it a bit more. I ended up having to pump a little at the hospital (especially since he was a preemie and struggled to latch) and I hated having to hold the pump parts up vs having my hands to be on my phone or holding a cup while I was drinking water.
- Socks with grips – for walking around when in labor or just to have for comfort
- Underwear – I got these last time and they were great! I got size Medium and Large, but ended up wearing the medium more.
- Going home outfit (+shoes) – You’ll still look and feel 6+ months pregnant when you leave the hospital, so I’d stay away from anything fitted. Since it’ll still be warm in Dallas, I’m going with a loose-fitting throw-on dress.
- Slippers – I actually plan to throw these away after I get home from the hospital just to be safe since there are so many germs. So I loved finding a cheap option I could use and then toss!
- 2-3 pairs of pajamas – Y’all know I love my Lake maternity pajamas! I brought two maternity gowns (I get a size small in maternity) and then a maternity pants set too.
I already have most of my toiletries packed in my trust Tumi travel bag. I’ve had this since our honeymoon and love it. I’ll just need to grab my makeup when it’s time to go!
- Contacts + glasses
- Prenatal vitamins – I use Ritual prenatal vitamins. Use my code 20BRIGHTON for 20% off your first month. I also found this cute pill box on Etsy.
- Blow dryer – you definitely will want to shower at least once at the hospital after being in labor for so long lol. I’m bringing my Revlon dryer and brush.
- Wet brush – I use this brush every day. It’s perfect for when your hair is wet after a shower!
- Hair ties – these won’t leave a crease!
- Shampoo & conditioner
- Makeup – I actually haven’t packed my makeup yet, but I’ll probably just bring concealer and some bronzer
- Dry shampoo
- Lip mask – currently loving this one that I found on Amazon.
- Going home outfit – I found this outfit on Etsy and am OBSESSED.
- Carseat and carseat cover
- Monogrammed hat
- Baby blanket – this blanket from Barefoot Dreams is soooo soft.
- 2-3 hospital outfits in different sizes
- Velcro swaddle – they have swaddles there for you, but I wanted to bring this one because it’s cute and pink lol
- Blanket for mom – the sheets and blankets they have at the hospital are pretty thin and having my own blanket will just make me feel more at home
- Pillow from home – I had my friend bring mine last time and I was really glad to have it for extra comfort (don’t forget the silk pillowcase lol)
- Boppy pillow + cover – this was super helpful for me when I was nursing Four, and I’ve had several people recommend bringing it to the hospital to have too!
- Nipple balm – I didn’t really need this last time because they had some at the hospital, but I’m bringing my Earth Mama butter anyway.
- Heating pad – this pad has been a game-changer for me!
- Snacks/candy – if you haven’t tried this trail mix from Target, you can thank me later.
- Phone charger – definitely also get a long cord so that it reaches the bed
- External battery just in case I need it!
- Night light – nice to have for feeding in the middle of the night so you don’t have to turn on the large overhead lights every time you use the restroom or feed
- Peri bottle – they have one there for you but I like the Frida one because it’s easier to use
- Feminine wipes – these wipes are super helpful to have the first few days after giving birth
- Pump + pump parts + charger – I could do a whole blog post on this. There are so many options out there, but I’ve found that the Spectra worked great for me with Four. I did upgrade to the cordless version so I don’t have to be plugged in when I pump.
- Tripod – I wanted one last time to get photos without having to wait for the nurses to come in. Not necessary, but I think it’ll be nice to have.
- Nurse baskets (I’m working on a post just about these!) – I’m going to have my friend bring these a little later since it will probably be too much to carry into the hospital. Or I might just keep them in the car and have Duncan bring them in once I’m all set up in the labor room.
Product Details: Barefoot Dreams Blanket // Tumi Cosmetic Case // Revlon Air Brush // Pill Case // Feminine Wipes // Peri Bottle // Wet Brush // Snacks Pouch // Heating Pad // Robe // Lake Pajamas (Pant set & Dress) // Nursing Bras (here and here) // Pink Clear Pouch // Socks & Underwear // Smiley Slippers // Baby Gingham Pouch // Baby Clothes (here, here and here) // Going Home Dress // Heart Blanket // Mama Gingham Pouch // Night Lite // Extra Battery // Claw Clips // Lip Mask
Product Details: Tumi Cosmetic Case (including makeup wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, travel dry shampoo, travel shampoo/conditioner (not necessary), face wash, deodorant) // Revlon Air Brush // Pill Case // Feminine Wipes // Peri Bottle // Wet Brush // Snacks Pouch (including Monster Trail Mix) // Heating Pad
Brighton Your Day
Get exclusive content, sale items, and lots of fun stuff, straight to your inbox!