I’m so excited to finally share my closet with y’all. We’ve been working on this space for the past 10 months. Looking at it now, I can’t believe it used to be an attic. Thanks to the help of some amazing designers and builders, we were able to transform this space into my dream closet slash office. Duncan and I joke that this is probably the nicest closest I’ll ever have so I better enjoy it.
If you check out the closet highlight on my Instagram, you’ll see how drastically different this space looked when we first moved in. There were no windows and no way to get into the room from our bedroom. The first thing we did was add two windows to let in a ton of natural light and put in a pocket door from our bedroom into the closet.
When I was envisioning this space, I knew I wanted it to serve as both my closet and my office. Because I’m constantly shooting photos and reels, it makes sense for me to work where all of my clothes and accessories are. Plus, this room was SO spacious that it lent itself perfectly to being both.
Okay so now let’s talk about organization. I’m not going to lie, when we first built this closet and put in all of the shelving, I was completely overwhelmed at the thought of organizing it all. My ultimate goal was to have it resemble the closet in my first Dallas home. I brought in someone to help me organize that closet initially, which made it so much easier to keep it organized.
For this closet, I decided to work with The To-Done List and I was so impressed by how easily they worked their magic. Because my mom used to be a shoe designer (and I wear a sample size), I’ve collected a lot of shoes over the years, so I knew this was going to be the biggest challenge to organize.
We basically laid all of my shoes on the floor and organized them by style (booties, flats, sneakers, pumps, etc.) and color. This was super time-consuming, but now, every single pair of shoes has a home. I simply put whatever pair of shoes I’m wearing right back where I got them from earlier that day so everything can stay organized.
When I was designing this space, I knew I wanted some shelves to display some of my handbags and oversized hats. My favorite bags live on these display shelves and the rest are organized neatly in a separate section for just my handbags. These acrylic purse organizers also work great to keep my clutches and smaller bags organized.
For my clothing, we either folded it neatly to put inside my drawers or used matching hangers so everything looks neater. This was something I did with the closet in my first home and I swear it’s made the biggest change in making my closet look and feel organized.
For smaller items like jewelry, it was super important for me to have everything in its home but visible and easily accessible. I actually had an organizing tray custom-made for my drawers to place all my jewelry in, which I highly recommend if you have the option. I love how they fit perfectly in my drawer and I can easily access them.
I was able to get some tips from The To-Done List while they were working in my closet and I thought I’d share them with you. I found them so helpful!
TIPS FOR ORGANIZING YOUR CLOSET
- Always purge before you organize. If you’ve ever watched an episode of The Home Edit’s show on Netflix, you’ve probably seen them take everything out before they can put it back in. This is the perfect time to sort through things you no longer need or that no longer “bring you joy.”
- If your closet doesn’t already have them, install drawers and shelves. This doesn’t have to be a huge project. You can buy slide-out bins and hardware for cheap and get creative.
- Find a home for everything. If there isn’t room, you may need to place some non-seasonal items in storage.
- Figure out the folding and hanging method that works for you. The organizers that came to my house showed me how to fold my clothes in a way that makes them easy to identify and they take up very little space.
- Invest in some quality organizing products like these small trackable trays or this jewelry stand. I’ve linked everything we used in my closet below to give you an idea of some products I found really helpful.
SHOP MY ORGANIZATION MUST-HAVES
Brighton Your Day
Get exclusive content, sale items, and lots of fun stuff, straight to your inbox!